Sunday 19 May 2019

Renesans Gouache

I was sent a set of 12 Renesans gouache tubes to try. These come from Poland, and Renesans make an additional three different ranges of watercolours that I have written about here.

There are 26 colours in this range - a smaller number than in most watercolour ranges but that makes sense. I use a much smaller range of colours in gouache than I do in watercolour as I consider gouache to be an opaque medium so I am not looking for transparent or granulating colours.





It's a workable basic set, though I'd switch in a cool red and a cool blue rather than the Cobalt Blue and the four pigment Burnt Umber. I think I'd also use a Raw Sienna more than Flesh Tint. Many of the colours have a slightly chalky look to them. I assume chalk has been added, as is traditional for gouache, but I may be wrong.

The full range can be seen here and below.


Renesans Gouache - Titanium White, Chrome Yellow Deep, Scarlet Vermilion (Hue), Cobalt Blue.

Renesans Gouache - Ultramarine, Bright Green, Emerald Green (Hue), Yellow Ochre.

I would rather see a single pigment Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber but they are not opaque pigments...
Renesans Gouache - Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Ivory Black, Flesh Tint.

Update
Renesans sent me the missing colours so here is the full range. I have either scanned or photographed these ones, to try to get the best colour match. I'll leave the set information above as it may be useful.


Renesans Gouache - Titanium Whiite, Chrome Yellow Light, Chrome Yellow Deep, Chrome Yellow Orange, Flesh Tint.

The colours of this set are close to correct, but the scarlet Vermilion Hue looks a little more accurate in the photo above. Alizarine Lake is actually slightly less purple.
Renesans Gouache - Scarlet Vermilion (Hue), Carmine, Alizarine Lake, Magenta, Cyan.

These colours have reproduced much better.
Renesans Gouache - Turquoise, Cobalt Blue, Ultramarine, Prussian Blue, Violet Lake.

Renesans Gouache - Bright Green, Emerald Green, Sap Green, Yellow Ochre, Raw Sienna,

The English Red is not quite as crimson as it looks here - it is more like a Quinacridone burnt Scarlet in hue. The others are fairly accurate.
Renesans Gouache - 

I am gradually adding Gouache samples - use the search button to find other posts.

Happy Painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment