I am often asked what other colours I use or like, and why. There are rather a lot. I have posted a paint-out of my main studio palette before, which I have recently updated. This would have some of my top 20 pigments, and allows me to paint almost anything I choose as it has a good range of yellows, reds, blues, greens and neutrals. These are
- Yellows - Hansa Yellow Medium DS, Quinacridone Gold DS, Goethite DS and Raw Umber DS or DV.
- Reds/Oranges - Rose Red Deep (DV) , Transparent Pyrrol Orange DS, Indian Red DS is my earth red and Pyrrol Crimson (DS) my deep crimson. (In my little travel palette I sometimes use Carmine DS in place of the crimson and rose pigments)
- Blues - Phthalo Blue RS DS, Ultramarine DS or DV, Cerulean DS, Indanthrone Blue DS
- Greens - Phthalo Green PG7(DS or DV), Undersea Green mix DS (PB29+PO49), Sap Green (DS PO49 + PG7) and Perylene green that is so useful for foliage in shadow.
- Neutrals - Buff titanium DS, Burnt Sienna DS or DV PBr7, Burnt Umber and finally my 'Jane's Grey' mixture of Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine. This is the one I refill the most.
|My 20 colour brass studio palette from littlebrassbox.|
|My studio 'extras' palette.|
Grey Titanium - introduced in 2019, along with Jane's Grey, this is an interesting colour that can be just perfect for concrete, neutral passages in a wash and some stone effects. I tend to use this in my plein air extras palette.
Lunar Black DS - I don't generally use a black pigment but I love this one due to its extraordinary granulation.