Wednesday 31 May 2017

Sketching and Sketchbook Exhibition

I have been busy preparing for two exhibitions - the first opened on Tuesday night, and the other, the AWI annual exhibition, opens on the 10th June at Juniper Hall - more about that soon.

Chantal and Rooi hanging about :-)
The Sketching and Sketchbook Exhibition features a number of Urban Sketching artists with sketchbooks and framed sketches on display. It's a fabulous chance to peek into the precious sketchbooks of about 40 artists of various levels of experience and to buy framed sketches or larger works inspired by sketches.

It is at the Creative Space, 105 Abbot Road Dee Why. It is on until the 11th June.

I'll be doing an artist talk on the 6th June 2-4 about using sketchbooks in the process of creating published books.


Chris's canvas paintings made a great statement
Three of my paintings - Bo


Opening night.

I've exhibited a painting based on a sketch I did in Jindabyne  - the sketch is in a small Moleskine watercolour sketchbook A5. The painting is a half sheet watercolour, called 'Snow Gum'.


I have also exhibited two versions of paintings created from a sketch I did at the Shaolhaven River. 

On the right is Boyd's Rock Quartet, Shoalhaven River

(The software is playing up and I can't edit this post properly or add captions to the rest so sorry about the random layout!)

Below is the sketch on location - the water really was a remarkable gold as it reached the bank I was sitting on.





On the right is Boyd's Rock Quartet III, intended to really zoom in on the lovely group of rocks that Arthur Boyd painted over and over again. This is a full sheet of Arches watercolour paper.

I've also put in two studies from life - Shells and Jacaranda Pods, and a study of a Venetian Door. 





For more information click here
Council website here
Facebook page here.


1 comment:

  1. Those are just lovely.

    I remember your blogpost about sketching those rocks.

    I am still a few years away from entering any exhibition. Right now I just share at the show for my community college class. I hope at some point to be good enough to rejoin the watercolor society and start to submit entries to their shows. My goal is to be good enough that something is accepted.

    When I went to Italy only one of my sketches was suitable for framing. I recently came back from Yosemite and there were 2-3 that were good enough to frame. Not show. But frame.

    ReplyDelete