Thursday 4 April 2019

Derwent Pencils from childhood


I have always loved colour, so it is no surprise that all I wanted as a child was coloured pencils, markers, pens, paint and other art and stationary materials. This set of 72 Derwent Pencils was my pride and joy at the age of about 7. I use water-soluble pencils much more often these days, so have created a couple of blog posts about those, but as it was National Pencil Day in the US last week, I thought I'd share these old friends. They have travelled with me to over a dozen different housesin three countries over the years yet here they all are - all 72. They don't have any fancy colour names, just numbers, 1 - 72.

Derwent coloured pencils from the 1970s.
 I like the colours of the Derwent (and Faber Castell) pencils as they are very realistic and usable, with a good range of earth browns and interesting greens.
Derwent coloured pencils from the 1970s drawn out.
Happy drawing :-)

5 comments:

  1. I had a set from my childhood but only 12 and I'm afraid they are pretty stubby now but I think they are still around. They came in a tin and I think I still have the tin too.

    When I was looking at Inktense pencils for fabric work, I decided to also invest in a good set of watercolor pencils. I dithered around trying to decide between Derwent, Faber-Castell and Caran-d'Ash. The Faber-Castell won but I don't remember why. I bought the Albrecht Dürer 120 in a tin. I tried a few but haven't really used them as I'm not that familiar with the techniques of using watercolor pencils. I bought a book but haven't had a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many ways to use them! I did a 5-hour demonstration for Faber Castell that they filmed. It would be great if they released it as it shows many uses.

      Delete
  2. What beautiful pencils and to think you have brought them with you everywhere is admirable! They do have lovely shades, I use my watercolour pencils quite often in my paintings, they are getting a little short in length but still hold pride of place, I share your love of colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a 24 set in the late seventies and always wanted more. A few years ago I came across the full set on quite a good special and couldn't resist them : D

    ReplyDelete