Monday 15 June 2015

M.Graham Gouache

I like to have a palette of gouache available for my own use or my students so I don't have to carry the tubes around.

I have a palette of Schmincke gouache that also rewet quite well. I have just 12 colours, including black and white, so quite different to my watercolour choices. You can see some of them here.

I have just ordered some M.Graham gouache tubes to try. I have heard that they also rewet well. Most brands need to be used straight from the tube and any leftover is discarded as it dries out and won't re-constitute.



I ordered Titanium White, Azo Yellow, Gamboge, Naphthol Red, Quinacridone Rose, Ultramarine, Cerulean, Phthylocynanine Green, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber and Lamp Black.

The small amounts I squeezed out and allowed to dry rewet nicely later. Next I'll try a larger pan of paint and see if it cracks up in a palette. I'll also paint out some swatches to check the opacity of each colour.

4 comments:

  1. i've been using m graham gouache now for about 2 years, it's wonderful..lightfast, easy to use (not like wn gouache which made me nuts in art school)..... i asked them about more colors
    it's very easy to rewet, even the white.
    i'm hooked on gouache now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes having gouache in a palette is great - rather than carrying the tubes around. Only the M.Graham and Schmincke seem re-wettable so both are worth exploring. I've ended up with a mix of brands in my palette :-)

      Delete
  2. I use this brand as well and love keeping a palette to save on tubes. I only use 8 colors, including black and white. They mix perfectly! This brand of paint is great and I highly reccommend it as well :D

    ReplyDelete