Monday 29 December 2014

Sketching in The Rocks, Sydney. Updated and Ongoing!

Police Station building, the Rocks.
The Sydney Sketch Club has set a challenge to draw all the buildings along George Street in The Rocks. It was started in January 2014 and I began with the old police building.

I drew this in Water-soluble graphite which is a favourite, especially for buildings where there is a lot of shadow. This is painted in an A5 Moleskine watercolour sketchbook. It is now a rather nice cafe with some of the old cells available as little private rooms.

The Russell Hotel, The Rocks, Sydney



Sketching in the Rocks, Sydney
The Russell Hotel is still a hotel :-) This was lightly drawn in pencil then in black ink with watercolour over the top. It's larger - in an A4 Moleskine watercolour sketchbook.

































I joined the Sydney Urban Sketchers for a coffee catchup in Surrey Hills and then a sketch in the Rocks, Sydney, on Christmas Eve. This time I had a time limit so worked much more quickly. The building was the 'English Scottish Australian Chartered Bank' building. It is sketched with minimal preparation with pen then watercolour then a little more pen work.















This is actually the first of the buildings in the stretch. I used grey mixed ink for this one and am really enjoying the softer look of grey rather than black.

It is in an A4 Moleskine watercolour sketchbook and was painted in January 2015

There are many more to go and I'll add them as I go :-)

4 comments:

  1. Hello Jane,
    I just wanted to wish you a very Happy New Year and say a big thank you for all the help your wonderful posts on colour mixing have given me. I found you via my friends in the USK Singapore, (I'm in the UK) from the workshop you did there for them.. I'm also now taking Liz Steel's Sketching Now Foundations Course! Following this I'm now changing to DS watercolours after years of using WN, and have been very lucky in having a Christmas present which will allow me to purchase your recommendations for your 12 colour palette. It's always a pleasure to visit here and see your beautiful work. Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jules
      Thank you very much. The USK Singapore folk are just delightful and I look forward to doing another workshop with them in April next year. I'll also be in the UK, where I hope to teach a couple of workshops. Perhaps I'll meet you there? I hope you enjoy your new DS paints as much as I do.

      Delete
  2. Jane, it's fantastic news that you will be visiting the UK sometime this year. I will be watching avidly for where and when - as I'd love to get to one of your workshops.. Wishing you a very happy, healthy and creative 2015!

    ReplyDelete