Saturday 18 January 2014

Cockatoo Island

I have been planning to spend a day at Cockatoo Island for some time and finally made it today. Many of my students went, along with the Sydney Sketch Club. Over 60 sketchers spread all over the place drawing or painting away. Great stuff!

I was interested in the way the water has leaked and created wonderful washes of minerals and colour on the walls, which were already an interesting mix of brick and stone and paint.
My first 'wall' study. Watercolour in a Moleskine watercolour sketchbook.
The second wall with the ladder going up to no where in particular. Watercolour in a Moleskine watercolour sketchbook.
One of the many defunct machines. Watercolour and sepia pen in a Moleskine watercolour sketchbook.
 I could spend a year painting and drawing at that place. So many ideas for abstract compositions too....

2 comments:

  1. great tones, lovely use of the light :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bruno. It's a wonderful place for sketching. I think I could spend a year doing sketches, serious and abstract paintings based on Cockatoo Island. Maybe I will!

      Delete