Thursday 3 September 2015

Super 5 fountain pen and inks

I was given a Super5 fountain pen to try. It's not intended as a drawing pen but has quite a nice 0.5mm italic nib for writing. It is quite heavy for a plastic pen so not one I'd be grabbing for over some of my other favourites but as I have recently posted about a number of pens thought I'd add this one.

Of more interest perhaps is the Super5 range of waterproof inks, which can be seen on their website here. The colours are unusual. There is a black (called Darmstadt) and a very useful looking grey (Frankfurt), a blue (Atlantic), an olive green (Dublin), a dull yellow (Delhi) and an Indian red (Australia).

They rate from 6 - 8 on the Blue Wool Scale, with the black rating the highest (7-8), which is acceptable, and they claim to be totally waterproof.

The Super5 Inks, from http://papierlabor.de/en/shop/inks/super5-ink-waterproof/
I haven't tried them - the blue in the pen was from the regular non-waterproof range - but I would be happy to hear from those who have. In the meantime I am perfectly happy to keep using the De Atramentis inks and mixing my own colours.

(If you want to see these mixes please search my blog or click Mixing De Atramentis Inks and you'll see some of the huge range of colours that can be created.)

4 comments:

  1. I just started experimenting with the Super5 Frankfurt ink this week, and I've been very happy with it. I have it in a jinhao fude pen, and I was able to put down quite wide lines and then throw watercolor right over it without any bleeding at all. For example, the first photo here was made that way. (The shoes were with Noodler's Lexington Gray in a Lamy vista fountain pen with watercolor throw over immediately afterwards, which also worked surprisingly well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that information and the link Danielle. I just love sketching with waterproof coloured inks - it adds a completely different dimension to a sketch.

      Delete
  2. I use the Super5 ink for quite a while now. And lucky me I have all colors!!!! The ink is completely waterproof even if you draw over acrylic paint and put then acrylic medium on top. No bleeding! I have to say I love it!
    Greetings from Germany, Sabine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that information Sabine :-) I am most interested in the grey, though I currently just make my own grey with the De Atramentis Document inks which are also waterproof. Greetings from Australia :-)

      Delete